You may also like:
If you have trouble remembering to take your medicine, try these helpful ideas and ask your doctor for others:
- Use a pillbox. Put your medication in a pillbox that has a compartment for each day. This visually reminds you to take your medication and prevents double doses. Fill it with any medications, supplements, or vitamins your doctor has prescribed.
- Take advantage of technology. If you’re usually plugged in, set up electronic reminders. Create email or calendar alerts to signal it’s time to take your medicine. Or you can program your cell phone alarm. Not only does it sound an alarm, it displays messages, such as, “Take your heart pill now.” You also can purchase pill caps that beep when it’s time to take medications. After you replace the cap, the timer automatically resets for the next time.
- Combine with a daily task. Pair taking your medication with an activity you do every day, such as making coffee or brushing your teeth. If you need to take your medications at a certain time of day, place them in strategic locations, like next to your toothbrush.
- Create a checklist. Another option is to make a checklist of all your medications and the time and day you need to take them. Then, put your medication to-do list on the refrigerator or another prominent place. Make a checkmark every time you take your medication.
- Ask someone to help. See if someone you trust can help you remember to take your medicine.
If you are like many Americans, you are on a first-name basis with your hairdresser, barber, maybe even your car mechanic or dry cleaner. But do you know the first name of your pharmacist? A study done by the American Pharmacists Association (APhA) found that approximately one-third of consumers know their pharmacist’s name…
Family and friends play a critical role in a loved one’s recovery and long-term care. Providing care for a loved one can be an extremely rewarding experience. At the same time, caregiving sometimes takes a heavy emotional, physical and financial toll …
Watch the American Medical Association’s video to hear patients’ stories about trouble understanding healthcare information. Do these stories sound familiar to you? Does anybody in the video remind you of yourself or someone you know? …